Since our founding in 2012 #TrailsRoc has worked to be a voice of “community” within the Rochester, NY trail running scene. We have opened the trails in our neck of the woods to hundreds, if not thousands of new and energetic trail runners.
In 2017 after much thought and growth we looked at the community of trail running and identified diversity as an area to prioritize growth. This opportunity is directly related to our organizational mission of introducing new runners to the the sport of trail running. We believe that improving our diversity efforts will not only enhance our runners’ outdoor experiences while they run with us, but also contribute to ensuring the sport grows in a way the positively impacts the community where we live.
Although some progress has been made, honest reflection leads quickly to the realization that the trail running world and our own organization has fallen short of both its own commitments and the expectations of many in our community.
In order to continue to move in a direction of progress #TrailsRoc will:
Set up a program to challenge underserved students to experience the benefits of getting off the roads and on to the trails. We will work with youth and adult mentors towards the ideals of goal-setting, character development, and improved health by providing them with a life-changing experience: The training for and completion a local trail race.
We hope by doing so we begin to open doors to under represented youth to see the sport of trail running as not only an inclusive and welcoming world, but one they can enjoy as a way to disconnect the same we so many of us do when we leave the pavement and hit the dirt!
- Partner with Rochester Running Company to develop an outreach system to youth in our area and introduce them to our sport.
- Continue to utilize funds from our fundraising races to introduce under represented youth to running via a mentor driven running club.
- Each youth will be paired with a running mentor
- Each youth will receive a pair of running shoes from RRC
- Each youth will receive a running tshirt from RRC
- Free entry to any trail race put on by #TrailsRoc or RRC while enrolled in the program
- Celebrate each youth completing the program at a goal race in which they will achieve something they did not think was possible when the began!
MORE DETAILS COMING SOON!
GOAL RACE: COMING SOON!